There’s Something About The Plastic!
“There’s something about the plastic!” is a hilarious phrase around our house these days. And I think there’s an interesting business lesson to it as well. Let me tell you why.
I have a cat. I like cats. My cat likes plastic. I like plastic too. But not like my cat. My cat would lick plastic all day long if you let him. Plastic bags, plastic wrappers, plastic sheet protectors, empty plastic zip lock bags ( his fav) or pretty much anything plastic including the Tupperware kind of stuff. I have no idea why.
My son’s friend Jamie heard me incredulously exclaim (after seeing the cat lick a zip lock bag for an hour) how crazy it is that the darn cat licks plastic all day long and Jamie shouted “That’s what all cats do!!” He said it with the obvious tone that he knew the answer as to why they do. I leaned forward and could not wait for the answer – I needed to know!. And then Jamie said…. “There’s something about the plastic!”
That was it. He had no idea why either. And that’s why we all collapsed on the floor laughing and why the phrase now is spoken, texted and emailed randomly among us for last 6 weeks especially when someone texts or says something worthy (unworthy).. “There’s something about the plastic!” is the label we put on something said that brings absolutely nothing new, interesting or valuable to the conversation.
There’s a bit of that that goes on at work too eh? Here are 6 of my favorite phrases (often shouted out ( like Jamie did)) that mean nothing or are just plain let downs. I have been guilty of a few of these myself for sure. Please feel free to add yours in the comments section!
- “We tried that a few years ago, it worked great.” [And why is it not still here? Usually heard in a brainstorm meeting]
- “Just gotta get people to offer it more. ” [usually in a sales meeting- we all know it’s more complicated than that]
- “There’s a right way and a wrong way to do this” [usually followed by silence. Thanks cpt Obvious.]
- “We need better leads” [ I’ve been on all sides – selling to feed my family, sales management & training and I can say never in my 25 years have I seen where that is true – it’s how you work the leads ( or better, make your own) that matters ]
- “People need to be retrained” [OK –so this hits home today in my role but seriously- it’s a rare day that folks need “retraining” – what they really need is” re-selling” of the content by a leader or “re-coaching” or “re – holding people accountableness-ness”
- “We have to prioritize this with everything else.” [Guilty am I here at times on this but think about how often we really hear it. And how “future tense” it is. Worthless. And usually it never does get prioritized because that means something needs to be “de prioritized” and that is courage not enough of us have in excess. ]
Till next time,
Grow The Business.
One thought on “There’s Something About The Plastic!”
I liked your list and your post. Very good insight. I want to add a twist to the first one. “We tried that, it didn’t work” how does anyone know that trying it again with new insight and technology won’t make it work.