I suspect some things are better left unsaid.
I know this when my 14 year old son, mortified about something I’ve just uttered, hangs his head and tells me, “Dad, I think that….. was an inside thought.”
Here are 6 random thoughts that probably should have stayed inside but if they did, there would be no blog today.
- I saw those “End of the World 5.21.11” Billboards over the last few months while traveling but no lie, I did not make the connection to the Rapture thing until this last Sunday – I thought they were just an ad for new movie coming out.
- I think Old School Prospecting is dead. Really dead; not even a fundamental anymore. New School Prospecting today is about giving something of value freely first – be it product, information, kindness, advice or a stick of gum. But it won’t be just “give free” for long – soon enough we’ll all have to Future School it and “buy” the right to be heard all the time. I’m OK with that.
- I worry that someday I’m going to watch TV and see my headless body walking down the street (“Hey, that’s my shirt! Hey, I have those same pants! Hey that’s (gulp) me!”) as Eyewitness News does yet another story on obesity zeroing in on those fat belly close ups.
- Consensus decision making is overrated. It has its place but an important decision or action that takes 5 times longer when 8 to 80 people get involved is a problem. Add to that, that the quality of that decision often degrades with everyone “giving in” along the way, ending in a watered down decision or plan. Some decisions are better made by just you with whatever degree of input you want or need. That goes for buyers, sellers and everyone in between.
- Who decided so many years ago that people who answer a phone should enter orders or update screens? Isn’t the skill of verbal communication something to rethink as far as value goes? Answer the phones hands free! – The art of the language and the phrase. What could we do with an obsession and admiration of that?
- Phone selling is going away. It’s coming full circle. Years ago it was always face to face and before you know it, it will be again. Smile at your Tablet folks, your non verbal expressions are going to matter again!
Till next time,
Grow The Business.